How to shoot Candid Wedding Photography

A quick guide to Candid Wedding Photography

I shoot most of the wedding day candid. My target market is, amoungst other things, couples who value their family & friends. Getting amazing photos of people on a wedding day is never during the boring formal group photos. Amazing photos are of amazing moments. 

How many photos to take on a wedding day?

This might shock you, it might not, but I take a minimum of 5000 photos during a wedding day. At least 80% of them are taken with my Nikon Z6 with my 85mm 1.8s lens, with the remaining 20% taken with my Nikon Z5 and my 35mm 1.8s. It's not that I don't love the 35mm focal length, it's just I have never really taken to it for capturing weddings. Since the move to mirrorless I take more photos than I did before, but there are SO MANY moments to capture on a wedding day that the couple/paying clients are missing and which deserve to be documented. 


Cocktail hour is the perfect time for candids

Getting those grins from the wedding guests

Candid gold to be had in between formal photos

What gear do I need?

For every one of these images, I used the Nikkor 85mm 1.8s lens. The focal length is perfect for taking candids, not to mention the lens itself is world class. 

One of my all-time candid photographs of the bride & groom 

Gear used 

  • Nikon Z5
  • Nikon z6
  • Nikkor 85mm 1.8s
  • Nikkor 35mm 1.8s